[Openmcl-devel] Building GSharp (Failure)

Brent Fulgham bfulg at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 17 00:16:21 PDT 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

>>> If I allow it to run (via a :GO command) the program compiles but
>>> doesn't seem functional.
>>
>> Fascinating as all of the above may (or may not) be, it's not
>> clear how
>> that (CERRORing on a certain kind of type redefinition) could have
>> had
>> any effect - negative or otherwise - on functionality.
>
> This is probably my fault; I just can't seem to invoke the program
> per the instructions:
>
> ? (require 'gsharp)
> GSHARP
>
> ? (gsharp::run-gsharp)
>
> This complains that run-gsharp is not a valid symbol, and I just
> assumed that something didn't get built properly.
>
> I'll play more in a day or so.

As everyone suspected, gsharp does indeed run fine.  My problems were:
1)  Needed to compile the special fonts in a place GSharp could find
them (defined in the INSTALL document)
2)  I needed to have the X11 system up and running.  I mistakenly
thought that the Cocoa bridge was somehow magically working under
OpenMCL CLX.

The only gotcha at the moment is that FLEXICHAINS causes the "(FIND-
CLASS 'NUMBER)" error we just discussed.

Thanks,

-Brent