[Openmcl-devel] New Clozure CL.app Available for Download

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Dec 3 16:53:26 PST 2007

The .dmg file that Andrew updloaded contains copies of a double-clickable
IDE for OSX (written in and intended to be used with OpenMCL ... er, CCL ...
er, Clozure CL ... or whatever it's called.)  This is basically what
you'd get if you started WhateverItsCalledCL and did

? (require "COCOA-APPLICATION")

e.g., it's the Cocoa IDE demo that's been around for the last few years,
only it seems to show some definite signs of usability.

This doesn't (AFAIK) contain sources or even binaries that can easily
be used from the command-line/Emacs.  (There's an OpenMCL heap image
inside the application bundle, but when it starts up it runs a Cocoa
event loop and starts creating menubars and dock icons and windows ...)
This is all OSX-specific (and is mostly there so people who want
to use/test the IDE without learning how to use the command-line version
of TheLispWithManyNames to build it.)

There should be new snapshots soon (as soon as possible) for all platforms.
(It's still possible to update the last snapshot from CVS, but it's
getting pretty long in the tooth ...)  The only real changes anticipated
involve getting the string "pre-" (implying "prerelease") out of the
version number and renaming the "testing" directory: both of these
things tend to make some people believe that the last few years' worth
of snapshots are less stable/usable than the 1.0 release, and that's
generally not true.  (The bugs in 1.0 aren't generally less horrible
than the ones in any of the 1.1 snapshots, etc.)

It's possible that the (pre-built) IDE could be distributed in OSX
tarballs in the future, and full OSX releases might be available in
both .tar.gz and .dmg formats.