[Openmcl-devel] asdf location

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Dec 6 07:59:34 PST 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Daniel Dickison wrote:

> (Sorry Gary for the duplicate message -- sent it from the wrong account the
> first time).
>
> On Dec 6, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Daniel Dickison wrote:
>
>> On Dec 6, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Gary Byers wrote:
>>
>>> Let me ask again: is everyone sure that ~/Library is called ~/Library
>>> on non-English installs of OSX ?

>> I'm pretty sure there's some Apple documentation somewhere describing these
>> canonical file system paths.
>
> Turns out there are Foundation functions for getting these paths, so the
> Right Thing would be to use these instead of hard coding ~/Library/.... etc.

Yes, I mentioned this in a long message that I wrote last night.
Foundation functions aren't accessible to the command-line lisp,
I don't know of any way to get the localized name from
the BSD/POSIX layer.

(And unfortunately, part of the trick that allows (REQUIRE "COCOA")
to morph a command-line tool into a windowed application depends
on not linking against Foundation - not loading the library unless/until
a fake CFBundle path is set up.)