[Openmcl-devel] Is this a bug?

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Sat Dec 15 09:10:53 PST 2007

Is this a bug?

Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.1-r7902 (DarwinX8664)!
? (elt "ß" 0)
#\Latin_Capital_Letter_A_With_Tilde
? (length "ß")
2

Version 1.1 is advertised as unicode-native, which I would have
thought would make the above return ß and 1 instead of #
\Latin_Capital_Letter_A_With_Tilde and 2.  Or am I missing something?

The reason I'm really asking, BTW, is not that I really care about
being correct about the length of unicode strings, but that I want to
create reader macros for unicode characters (in particular « and ») so
the error I really care about is this one:

? #\«
 > Error: Unknown character name - "«" .

rg