[Openmcl-devel] cross-compiling for ia32

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Nov 8 17:41:52 PST 2007

One thing that probably isn't relevant but may soon be:

The .cdb files that store foreign function/type information contain
16- ,32-, and 64-bit words (both in the encoded data that they contain
and in the metainfomation that they use for lookup.)  These words are
just stored in host byte-order, so to cross-compile between a host and
target of different endianness you have to do something like:

- generate a set of .ffi files on/for the target system (:libc or some
   subset of it)

- copy them to the host

- do the PARSE-STANDARD-FFI-FILES step on the host, something like:

? (require "PARSE-FFI")

? (ccl::parse-standard-ffi-files :libc :darwinx8632)

At some point, cross-compilation will need access to the interfaces;
Matt would have a better idea than I do how near/far away that point
is.  In the long run, it'd be nice to be able to cross-compile from
any supported host to any supported target; in the near term, it's
probably more important to be able to cross compile to IA32 from
-some- host, and later figure out whether that can be made more
general.