[Openmcl-devel] Errors Creating NSTimer

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Sun Oct 28 13:41:12 PDT 2007

I wanted to respond to these messages from Phil and Brent.

It's sometimes hard to strike the right balance between "leading
people on" and "leaving people out" when working on an open source
project, and we're still learning that.  The various pieces of
technology that Clozure has released or talked about recently --- a
Mac IDE, an Intel-32 port, EasyGUI, etc --- are all fairly new
developments.  At first we didn't talk about them because we didn't
know whether or not they would ever be real. Then we didn't talk about
them because we were all too slammed with other obligations (e.g. paid
work) to package things up and put a message together.  Finally, the
situation with MCL forced us to prioritize getting something out there
even if it wasn't pretty.

At this point I think it's safe to say that the IDE is real.  The
other two probably are, as well, but that would be contingent on
feedback from you folks that these are useful directions, and we
certainly don't have schedules.

So, Brent, please don't throw out your high level GUI stuff just yet.

And Phil --- We literally just realized (d'oh) that people could use
the 32-bit Intel port to access Carbon libraries.  We had mostly been
thinking about it in terms of getting to the installed base of Linux
and potentially Windows machines out there. (Yes, a Windows port is
another possible direction.  No, we haven't started one.  Yes, we are
interested.  If you'd like to work on it or fund it, let us know.
Please don't build your product plans on it unless you hear more from
us!)  We hadn't thought about its impact on the Mac -- "Apple shipped
32-bit only Macs for such a short time, it doesn't really matter," was
mostly we thought about 32-bit Intel and the Mac.  But you're right,
you could use it to access Carbon once it's finished.  And just to say
it once more, we don't know when that will be. So I hope we haven't
wasted too much of your time.

In terms of a survey for OpenMCL users: yes, we want to put that
together.  Meanwhile, if you have any feedback, or if you have ideas
for what directions we should go or what questions we should ask on
such a survey, let us know either on-list or via private e-mail if
you'd rather.

Andrew