[Openmcl-devel] Detecting "Bitness" of Application

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Sep 17 22:41:45 PDT 2007

It doesn't completely hide the problem, but the Cocoa Bridge does
something like:

(deftype ns:cgfloat () #+32-bit-target 'single-float
                        #+64-bit-target 'double-float)

and

(defconstant ns:+cgfloat-zero+ #+32-bit-target 0.0f0 #+64-bit-target 0.0d0)

The latter means that you can sometimes write constants as

(float 1 ns:+cgfloat-zero+)

Some of the stuff introduced in the 070408 release and described in the
release notes is also intended to make this sort of thing easier:

(ns:with-ns-rect (&rect 0 0 Width Height)
   ...)

will ensure that all of the fields of the NSRect are CGFloats.

I may be mistaken (and I'm too lazy to check at the moment) but I
think that the CG* geometry structures (CGPoint, CGRect, etc) are
entirely equivalent to their NS* counterparts.  If they aren't
literally the same foreign type (simply identical in their layout),
then it's probably true that the bridge has better support for the
NS* variants.