[Openmcl-devel] Solaris x86-64 progress

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Aug 10 19:31:13 PDT 2008

If anyone's interested, there's a work-in-progress Solaris x86-64 (or "x64",
if you prefer) port in the trunk.  I ran into many of the same issues that
Chris described.

Some of the socket code is still buggy (and largely untested), there's
an intermittent problem whereby sometimes (i.e., when I don't have GDB
attached to look at it ...) threads get strange memory faults during
QUIT, there seems to be an OS bug (or a misinterpetation of some
information passed to a signal handler) that causes memory fault
addresses to be reported incorrectly sometimes (on "SunOS 5.11
snv_93"), and there are likely other bugs that I'm not aware of.

What work I've done on it has been done under OpenSolaris (there's
an 08/05 live cd at opensolaris.org, and I later upgraded to
a slightly later version via the package system.)  I don't know
if it runs differently or at all under Solaris 10.

I couldn't find a prebuilt non-buggy version of GNU m4 anywhere
anymore, so I just downloaded the sources and built and installed
it in /usr/local/bin; the Makefile looks for it there.

The trunk is in general "volatile" (as it has been for the last
several weeks); I'm trying to bootstap a lot of changes, and
have been checking heap images into svn at least once a day as
I've done that.  At any point in time, the binaries in the trunk
may be a little behind the sources (and the sources a little hard
to bootstap with those hours-old binaries.)

If anyone who's interested hasn't been scared away yet, the Solaris
port can be checked out of svn via:

shell> svn co http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/openmcl/trunk/solarisx64/ccl