[Openmcl-devel] Profiling Parenscript compilation

Scott Bell sblist at me.com
Fri Dec 5 00:49:01 UTC 2008

As a follow-up, I'd like to mention what our bottleneck was. It turned
out that
we were using some expensive CL-PPCRE scanners to do some basic
dispatching when a simple cons pair would do (although in just a
more verbose syntax). It's not entirely clear why this is so different
vs. CCL, but it's something we plan to investigate.

Pre-optimized parenscript compilation: SBCL 12s, CCL 80s
Post-optimized parenscript compilation: SBCL 0.7s, CCL 0.7s

My first thought is possibly character representation, but I'm not
that well
acquainted with the joys of Unicode encodings. I will advise further
we get some more information.

- Scott