[Openmcl-devel] Profiling Parenscript compilation

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Dec 4 19:58:20 PST 2008

I think that there are some parameters in CL-PPCRE that control:

- whether or not to create some tables (vectors) that can speed up
matching of literal prefixes and suffixes, and this parameter defaults
to T.

- how large to make those vectors; the default is CHAR-CODE-LIMIT,
which is #x110000 in CCL and many other lisps.

I think that we've seen cases (maybe involving precompiled regular
expressions) where memory fills up with lots of very large, mostly
empty vectors; in the case where this was happening, the tables didn't
seem to speed things up, and their memory cost was pretty severe.  I
don't know if that's related to the speed issue, but if these tables
were being allocated and initialized at runtime - over and over again
- it's not hard to imagine that you'd be spending more time doing
that than doing something more useful.  (If you were allocating
and initializing 128-entry or 256-entry tables, that might still
be worthwhile in some cases; #x110000-entry tables ... not so much.)