[Openmcl-devel] startup 'terminal' window

mikel evins mevins at mac.com
Tue Dec 23 14:36:07 PST 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> I assume that Phil means that there should be a way of getting rid
> of the Listener.

Without more context, there is no such thing as "the Listener".

He's distributing a multiplatform LTK app. He might have built it with
the Cocoa IDE, or he might have built it with the ccl executable,
without using the IDE.

In the former case there is one procedure for "getting rid of the
Listener" (which, in that case, means ensuring that the Listener
window doesn't appear and that no bad things happen as a result of
that). In the latter case, there is a completely different procedure
for "getting rid of the Listener" (which, in that case, means making
sure that the delivered executable is launched in such a way that the
Finder doesn't think that it's a command-line executable that should
have its I/O streams attached to a terminal session in a Terminal
window).

Without more explanation, it's impossible to tell which case is the
relevant one, and the solutions in the two cases are completely
different (because the cases themselves are completely different).

Once the correct case is known, it then becomes possible to talk about
how the delivered application is structured and what might be
necessary to ensure its continued good behavior in the absence of "the
Listener" (whatever that turns out to be).

My hunch is that it's the latter case (no Cocoa IDE) because he's
working with LTK, which is probably both easier and more useful
without Cocoa. In that case, he probably needs some help figuring out
how to package the executable in an app bundle. But we can't be sure
of that; you certainly could build an LTK app from the Cocoa IDE,
which would lead to a completely different set of problems and
solutions.

--me