[Openmcl-devel] 32bit system

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jun 16 02:55:43 PDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Chun Tian (binghe) wrote:

> Hi, Gary Byers
>
> What about the commercial MCL? Is there any news?

It was open-sourced.

<http://clozure.com/pipermail/info-mcl/2008-March/000336.html>

(We (Clozure) host some MCL mailing lists and provide FTP space
for the MCL disk image, but aren't otherwise involved in/with MCL.)

> Several months ago some one on MCL mailing list said MCL 5.2 will be
> open-sourced, but things didn't change since then. I'm not a MCL user (using
> Clozure CL 1.2 now) but thought that the MCL CLIM & IDE maybe still useful
> for Lisp programmers on Mac if these components can be ported to Clozure
> CL... What's your opinion?

I don't know exactly what the licensing status of CLIM is.

Entirely personal opinion:

It'd probably be wrong to say that there's nothing worth salvaging/using
from MCL, but it's not really obvious to me what that would be.

Put another way: there was a lot of good user-interface sensibility in
MCL and there was a lot of effort put into making it a usable and
productive environment for many people for many years.  Those are good
things, but the technology and the code (with some possible
exceptions) aren't directly related to those strengths in any obvious
way.