[Openmcl-devel] support for International keyboards

Daniel Dickison danieldickison at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:04:40 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 12:42 AM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Andrew Shalit wrote:
>
>> We ship with the current mapping (option = meta), but we
>> allow people to turn that off, so the option key returns to its
>> normal
>> Macintosh purpose, leaving escape as the way to indicate meta.
>
> And give the user an easy way to toggle modes between Mac-option and
> meta. If you make it a menu command - something like Toggle Option Key
> Mode - then the user could set whatever command key binding she likes
> for the toggle switch using the Keyboard Shortcuts pane of the
> Keyboard & Mouse Pref Pane. You could make it default to cmd-T as this
> is not currently in use in the IDE.  This way you could use both modes
> and never have your hands leave the keyboard.

I just wanted to point out that Aquamacs Emacs (http://aquamacs.org/)
does something similar -- it provides a menu item that toggles the
option key between being "Meta", "Standard Mac characters", or meta +
some localized subset of standard mac characters.

I don't personally use this feature myself (I stick to ASCII in source
files), but it might be worthwhile taking a look at their
implementation to see what the edge cases are.

Cmd-T is normally used for "Show Fonts" on OS X so another shortcut
might be better.

Daniel