[Openmcl-devel] support for International keyboards

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Apr 6 23:47:09 PDT 2009

I vote for all of the above.  Er, below.  Or at least a large subset
of the conventions that you describe.  People have different needs and
expectations, and I think that it should ideally be possible and
simple for a user to select some option that comes closest to meeting
them all.

(I wouldn't want to have to convince someone else that "command as meta,
disable menu key equivalents" is somehow the right thing, but Apple's
X11 offers that as an option and it's possible to get used to it, and
I could imagine using that convention - personally - in the IDE.  I
could as easily imagine that someone else believes that that leads
to street crime or is unthinkably unMac-like.)

If we agree that we should support several conventions and let the
user select whatever convention best matches their needs/habits,
there's still a question of what the out-of-the-box default should be.
I can more or less convince myself that it's better to not enable any
meta modifiers (other than Escape) by default, and let anyone who
expects to use Option or CMD or ... as a meta modifier find the
preference pane that lets them set that.

One last idea (that might or might not be doable and might or might
not be worth adding to this possibly crowded proposed preferences
pane):  Many Mac keyboards have multiple option and command keys
(and/or may have keys with labels like "AltGr" that might act as
"option" or "command" modifiers.  Maybe.)  A keyboard-related
NSEvent has a "modifierFlags" attribute whose value is a bitmask;
the low 16 bits are device-dependent, while the upper 16 bits
are portably defined.  Printing the value of the variable
"modifiers" in the function NS-EVENT-TO-KEY-EVENT seems to show
that the device-dependent bits for "right-option-a" and "left-option-a"
key events on my US keyboard are different, though both events have
the #$NSAlternateKeyMask bit set.  For some users, it might work
best to to ignore the #$NSAlternateKeyMask and say "the device-dependent
bit associated with the left option key should be treated as a Meta
modifier and the other option key should produce cooked self-inserting
characters."

That wouldn't necessarily be any more of a perfect solution than
any other, but (assuming that it's implementable) it might work
well for some people.  The same could be said for many other
strategies, but different strategies would likely work best for
different people.