[Openmcl-devel] using subversion as a publication mechanism.

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Fri Apr 24 11:53:24 PDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 1:50 PM, John McAleely wrote:

>> The disk images are built by hand, so no, they don't automatically
>> track svn.  They include the svn metainformation (in .svn
>> directories), so it's possible to install from a disk image and
>> still use "svn up" to get updates.
>

> I'm in the progress of upgrading between various releases of
> subversion, and as a consequence I'm learning new things.
>
> I don't believe the subversion developers promise to maintain their
> meta-information format in a compatible fashion between releases, at
> least not to the same extent as the APIs they publish. What particular
> version of subversion is CCL's installation process dependent on? It
> does not appear to be documented on the trac page.

All clients and servers in the 1.x series are supposed to be able to
work with each other.  As for working copies, they are supposed to be
upward compatible within the 1.x series.  (That is, newer clients can
use older working copies, though they might silently upgrade the
working copy format on first access.)

http://subversion.tigris.org/hacking.html#release-numbering

If I had to pick a minimum supported version of svn, I'd pick svn 1.4,
because that's the version of the svn software that is included with
Mac OS X Leopard.

The working copy format for the ccl-1.3 archives on the ftp site is
1.4 for darwin and linux, and I don't remember what it is for the
other operating systems (freebsd, solaris, windows).