[Openmcl-devel] ccl manual (was Re: trace on recursive functions)

Tom Emerson tremerson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 06:10:39 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:
> Is there any way to make the wiki *be* the manual? I don't know enough
> about the specific wiki here, but I'm thinking of some approach where
> you construct some kind of view of a lot of wiki pages which
> essentially is the manual (obviously this would not be "all pages" it
> would be some subset).  That's probably a bit less powerful than using
> some dedicated system like DocBook but it means there is a single
> source of information, and it's easier to update as well.

I'm personally not a huge fan of wiki-based documentation, and given
an appropriate set of tools it's possible to have the manual online in
HTML (perhaps supporting user-entered comments) and in a
professional-looking printed (or printable) form. There are all kinds
of things that can be done in this regard.

I guess one could ask whether having the docs in printable form is
worth the effort. To me it absolutely is, but I'm a big proponent of
the printed page and nice formatting, to the point if I have a choice
of reading a PDF or a wiki, I'll take the PDF.

Anyhoo,

    -tree

--
Tom Emerson