[Openmcl-devel] Slime/Clozure/Windows C-c C-c not working

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sun Jul 26 06:35:25 PDT 2009

* Matt Lamari [2009-07-26 13:30+0200] writes:

> Would you be able to email me more of your config?
>
> I moved to (non-Xemacs) GNU Emacs to try to standardize on your
> results.  (Reinstalling GNU Emacs and downloading a new/latest slime)
>
> With Gnu Emacs I cannot start slime at all - I get the error "Spawning
> child process: invalid arguments".  I've tried entering the link to
> CCL/Scripts/CCL64 in all the path forms I could think of but it didn't help.

There might be a problem with spaces in filenames.

My setup for Windows is:

(add-to-list 'load-path
              "i:/Documents and Settings/helmut/lisp/slime-2009-06-06/")
(require 'slime-autoloads)
(slime-setup '(slime-repl))
(setq slime-lisp-implementations
      '((ccl ("i:/Documents and Settings/helmut/lisp/ccl/wx86cl.exe"))))

A few more points: the *inferior-lisp* buffer displays the output of the
CCL process and has a REPL.  This buffer is in "comint" mode.  If you
just need comint mode you can also use M-x run-lisp (or C-u M-x run-lisp
to give the correct filename).

Slime is distinct from comint mode and uses a TCP socket in the
background.  Slime only needs the comint buffer at startup and displays
it so that you can see error messages.  If you see the *inferior-lisp*
buffer it doesn't necessarily mean that Slime started; it only means
that the CCL process started.

Also, pressing C-c C-c in the comint buffer doesn't seem to work (yet)
on Windows.  Slime can use a different mechanism by sending something on
the above mentioned socket which tends to work better.

Helmut