[Openmcl-devel] modify lisp reader such that :: is disallowed

mikel evins mevins at mac.com
Thu Jun 11 18:36:15 PDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:23 PM, Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:51 PM, mikel evins wrote:

>>> I thought about processing the string before passing it to the
>>> reader
>>> but I
>>> think it is better to leave the lisp reader deal with it (faster);
>>> but
>>> it seems
>>> that there is no solution at sight right now; probably only by
>>> modifying
>>> (hacking) the ccl lisp reader.
>>>
>>> Another way is to create a set-macro-character for #\: and throw an
>>> error,
>>> but this will inhibit the use of keywords.
>>>
>>> About making lisp secure:
>>>
>>> Suppose you have access to a limited set of symbols (known as
>>> secure),
>>> and that the colons are forbidden, then how a user can access
>>> symbols
>>> in packages that he did not inherit?
>>
>> (funcall (intern "LAUNCH-MISSILES" (find-package "TOP-SECRET-
>> PACKAGE")))
>>
>> (apply (symbol-function (find-symbol "DESTROY-THE-WORLD") (find-
>> package "THE-EVIL-PACKAGE")) '())
>>
>> (do-symbols (s (find-if (lambda (p) (member "WORLD-ENDING-
>> PACKAGE" (package-nicknames p))) (list-all-packages)))
>>  (when (and (char= (elt (symbol-name s) 0) #\D)
>>             (char= (elt (symbol-name s) 0) #\E)
>>             (char= (elt (symbol-name s) 0) #\S)
>>             (char= (elt (symbol-name s) 0) #\T)
>>             (char= (elt (symbol-name s) 0) #\R)
>>             (char= (elt (symbol-name s) 0) #\O)
>>             (char= (elt (symbol-name s) 0) #\Y))
>> 	(funcall (symbol-function s))))
>>
>> (do-all-symbols (s) (when (test-symbol-for-function-that-produces-
>> hell-on-earth s)
>>                         (let ((my-evil-symbol (gensym))))
>>                            (setf (symbol-function my-evil-symbol)
>>                                  (symbol-function s))
>>                            (pass-evil-symbol-to-function-calling-
>> macro my-evil-symbol)))

> As I said earlier, all symbols that allow users to access and/or
> modify data of other users will be
> shadowed (eg. intern, in-package, find-symbol, do-symbols, ...)

That's a lot of symbols! The implementation in front of me has about
9,000 symbols that name functions. I wonder how many of them have
malicious potential uses? I wonder how many can be combined with some
number of the other ones to result in a security hole? Phew, that's
going to be quite a bit of checking!

I'm not saying you should give up; far from it. On the contrary, I'd
suggest trying to get a research grant for it. If you limit yourself
to one specific implementation on one specific CPU and OS, that could
be enough work to keep you busy, interested, and receiving paychecks
for several years. It could result in some pretty interesting
publications, too.

--me