[Openmcl-devel] (SETF FIND-CLASS)

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue May 5 13:29:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Leslie P. Polzer wrote:

>> As noted in the earlier message, CCL's behavior would be more consistent
>> if DEFTYPE also checked for proper-namedness (or the equivalent).
> Yes, indeed. I will try to enhance DEFTYPE's behavior in CCL.
> What do you mean by "or the equivalent"?

There's a (possibly slightly faster) way of determining that a symbol
is a type specifier that (properly) names a class.  (If it's any faster,
that'd be because CLASS-NAME is a generic function.)

Figuring that out (in general, mapping from a type specifier to a
class or some other representation of a type) as quickly as possible
is important for things like TYPEP and SUBTYPEP (when they couldn't do
that simplification at compile-time), but we're talking about the
expansion of DEFTYPE (CCL::%DEFTYPE) here ...  That usually happens at
load time and isn't much of a bottleneck, so the straightforward check
for proper-namedness is fine here.