[Openmcl-devel] windows

Glen Foy lisp at clairvaux.org
Fri May 15 11:08:05 PDT 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Joakim Sandgren wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it very far until we have "remember window positions"?
> I think this is really really important to be able to dispose your
> windows as you want. and to find them like that when you return. to
> just start to work again.
>
> I think this is almost more important than syntax-coloring (that is
> also very important!)

Window positioning is important to me also.  It seems half my life is
spent moving and resizing windows.

I have some old MCL code that lets you define "parking spots" for you
editor windows.  Every time you open a window it is automatically
sized and placed in one of these parking spots.  If all your parking
spots are full, the least recently opened window is closed and placed
on a file history list.

You can move your file around with function keys, get access to the
file history list through a popup menu, etc.  There is also a
positions history list, and both of these lists are saved and reloaded
at the start of each session.

I will eventually port this to CCL.  No more manually sizing and
moving window.

Right now I'm working on porting some Fred syntax styling code, your
second request.  It's not fun debugging code that has to run in the
Cocoa event thread.  We really need a solution for this, and I feel
sure we will get a solution before long.  Either Gary will do
something dazzling with threads, and events, and break loops, or maybe
a Cocoa based Slime would be good solution.  Currently debugging
callback code is a bit like root canal.  Not something you'd want to
do everyday.

The syntax styling code is ready for full font support.  As soon as we
get persistent text attributes, it will be ready to go.

-Glen