[Openmcl-devel] Visual Bugs in the IDE

John McAleely john at mcaleely.com
Wed May 20 02:43:23 PDT 2009

All,

I recently pulled down trunk, rebuilt and used (require :cocoa-
application) to build the IDE .app

I then opened the app from the finder.

I wish to observe several minor bugs, which have the effect for me of
detracting from the otherwise 'solid' feel of the IDE in the few hours
I used it this morning. Thanks for all the work to get it this far!

  - The icon in the finder and the dock differ. In the dock it has a
shaded cyan background behind the red (CCL) logo. In the finder, only
the (CCL) logo appears, with no cyan backdrop.

  - The AltConsole window appears with an incredibly chunky border,
unlike any other displayed by CCL infrastructure. The text is red for
reasons I can't intuit. I would have expected this to look similar to
a listener window.

  - Opening the file 'md5.lisp' (sourced from the internet some time
ago, attached), and scrolling it with the mouse/vertical scroll bar,
resulted in the syntax colouring inverting from time to time (code
became blue, strings black). I could not reproduce this with other
files, but it was very reliable with md5.lisp across multiple
invocations of the IDE. This occurs as the function 'md5sum-stream' is
in the visible area, near the center of the window.

  - Cmd-right arrow appears to do nothing to move the cursor. My
muscle memory expects it to move the cursor to the end of the line.

  - The bottom of a code window looks visually ugly until a horizontal
scroll bar is required and un-greys. No other mac app windows on my
screen have this 'look', sharing a 'flat' horizontal scroll bar with a
3d status line.

  - Clicking with the mouse multiple times to influence the selected
area appears to sometimes work to extend the selection area from the
cursor position to the enclosing s-expr, and sometimes to the
enclosing text line. I could not infer a rule to predict this behaviour.

In this email editor (mail.app), a double click on the cursor position
selects the enclosing word, and a triple click selects the enclosing
paragraph. I suppose working to the enclosing s-expr, unless in space
between s-expr's in a file, would be what I  would expect.

  - Within the preferences menu option, all of the buttons/widgets on
the tab 'encodings' are entirely grey, and consequently appear to
offer no functionality.

  - Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.3-dev-r12094M-trunk
(DarwinX8664)!
  - Mac OS X 10.5.7