[Openmcl-devel] Visual Bugs in the IDE

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Wed May 20 12:44:21 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 2:43 AM, John McAleely wrote:

> - Opening the file 'md5.lisp' (sourced from the internet some time
> ago, attached), and scrolling it with the mouse/vertical scroll bar,
> resulted in the syntax colouring inverting from time to time (code
> became blue, strings black). I could not reproduce this with other
> files, but it was very reliable with md5.lisp across multiple
> invocations of the IDE. This occurs as the function 'md5sum-stream'
> is in the visible area, near the center of the window.

I've produced what I believe to be a minimal reproduction of this bug
(file enclosed).  You can *add* just about anything to this minimal
file and still produce the bug, but removing any of the characters in
the file seems to make the problem go away.

Note that the file contains a long run of blank lines.  Those are
necessary.  The bug depends on the size of the window in which the
file is being displayed.  The more blank lines (actually they don't
have to be blank, but the carriage returns have to be there) the
larger the window can be and still manifest the problem.

In the course of investigating this I discovered the following
charming behavior: if you type a string into the listener that
consists of a carriage return, an open-paren, and then a long run of
carriage returns (60 or so), the listener will become unresponsive
(i.e. subsequent forms will fail to be evaluated).

It's been a fun morning.

rg