[Openmcl-devel] Evaluating empty Buffer region Hangs IDE

wws2 ww.s2 at ukonline.co.uk
Wed May 20 14:32:14 PDT 2009

Just starting to explore CCL (the 1.3dmg version).  One of my first
impressions was discovering that evaluating empty selections cause
the listener to disappear.  I first discovered this evaluating
regions with compiler flags that result in an empty expression, for
example (select between the quote marks not including them)

" #+:ccl-5.2 4     "

causes the listener to disappear. But if it has

" #+:ccl-5.2 4  7 "

the listener shows 7.  But in fact select any empty buffer area

"             "

  and evaluate the selection and this also occurs.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Separately, I cannot decipher the messages on this list (or the
documentation) related to whether CCL runs COCOA in 64 bit mode on a
PPC (iMac G5) under osx4.11.  I get the impression that the answer is
no, certainly when I try to load cocoa I get a message saying the
library is the wrong version.  Is there some combination of libraries
and/osx version that would allow me to explore the 64 bit version?  I
would like to port some MCL code to CCL in part to take advantage of
the larger datasets that would allow me to run.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Finally,  it would be nice to have some guidance on things like the
initial mode line.  This may exist somewhere on the web pages, but
the bits I have found do not seem to explain things like that, and I
have run across two issues.

To start, (a) in MCL one can have the package name in a list on the
mode line (ie ";-*- mode: lisp; Package: (:DATA) -*-") and that means
create the package if it does not exit.  That exact and useful
convention does not work in CCL, but is there some alternate convention?

(b) I have noticed is that if I click in a buffer that does have a
(defpackage ) at the top, I cannot then load the buffer because it
complains the package is not defined, but if I just open and load it
(from the menu) everything goes fine.  I surmise that by clicking in
the buffer a "buffer mark" to use FRED terminology, is established
below the (defpackage ) position, and so in some sense the subsequent
at the click point and complains that the package is not defined.
Surely loading the buffer should use or move a buffer mark at the top
and start from there.

Thanks for your help and guidance,