[Openmcl-devel] Evaluating empty Buffer region Hangs IDE

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed May 20 15:10:19 PDT 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009, wws2 wrote:

> Separately, I cannot decipher the messages on this list (or the
> documentation) related to whether CCL runs COCOA in 64 bit mode on a
> PPC (iMac G5) under osx4.11.  I get the impression that the answer is
> no, certainly when I try to load cocoa I get a message saying the
> library is the wrong version.  Is there some combination of libraries
> and/osx version that would allow me to explore the 64 bit version?  I
> would like to port some MCL code to CCL in part to take advantage of
> the larger datasets that would allow me to run.

Apple didn't provide 64-bit versions of any GUI libraries until 10.5.
Bugs in late developer releases of 10.5 (from WWDC 2007 until a few
months before the final 10.5) completely broke CCL on PPC64, and (even
though it's a year and half later) that's my excuse for not getting
the ObjC bridge working on PPC64.

A few months ago I got a lot of it working, but the parts that're known
not to work are fairly important; they have to do with ensuring that
the lisp runtime can handle ObjC exceptions and that the ObjC runtime
sees lisp errors as exceptions; even if "handle" in both cases means
nothing more than "unwind the stack back to the next point of transition
between Lisp and ObjC code."  It'd probably take a few days of quality
time with GDB to get that working, and there's always been something
of higher priority.

> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> Finally,  it would be nice to have some guidance on things like the
> initial mode line.  This may exist somewhere on the web pages, but
> the bits I have found do not seem to explain things like that, and I
> have run across two issues.
>
> To start, (a) in MCL one can have the package name in a list on the
> mode line (ie ";-*- mode: lisp; Package: (:DATA) -*-") and that means
> create the package if it does not exit.  That exact and useful
> convention does not work in CCL, but is there some alternate convention?
>
> (b) I have noticed is that if I click in a buffer that does have a
> (defpackage ) at the top, I cannot then load the buffer because it
> complains the package is not defined, but if I just open and load it
> (from the menu) everything goes fine.  I surmise that by clicking in
> the buffer a "buffer mark" to use FRED terminology, is established
> below the (defpackage ) position, and so in some sense the subsequent
> at the click point and complains that the package is not defined.
> Surely loading the buffer should use or move a buffer mark at the top
> and start from there.

No, but you're right that the LispM-style package specifications on the
attributes line were handy and it'd be good to support them.