[Openmcl-devel] Macro named λ won't expand in Slime REPL

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Thu May 21 09:43:55 PDT 2009

Thanks to everyone who responded. We fixed the problem by putting the
following in .ccl-init.lisp:

  (setf ccl:*default-external-format* (ccl:make-external-format
:character-encoding :utf-8))

I believe Gary's explanation was correct: "the lambda character [was]
encoded in ... two bytes in a UTF-8-encoded file, but if the file was
compiled with a default :EXTERNAL-FORMAT of :ISO-8859-1, a two-character
symbol name  would have been read and interned and defined as a macro. (That
would have happened consistently, so calls to the macro in the file(s) would
appear to work as expected.)"

It's worth mentioning that *default-external-format* has to be set before
starting Slime, which makes me think that Tobias' suggestion is a good idea:
"Perhaps Slime should send the buffer's coding-system with each request, and
we should pass that over to COMPILE-FILE."

Thanks again,
Daniel