[Openmcl-devel] CCL is a mess

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Tue May 26 18:45:30 PDT 2009

do not shoot the messenger. This is comment on CCL and its IDE
collected here: http://code.google.com/p/xmlisp/downloads/list

Reported by zos156, May 22 (4 days ago)
> CCL is a mess and should not be used to deliver anything
> resembling an end-user application, much less used to teach
> newbies opengl/and-or lisp. This is exactly the sort of app
> that turns people away from Lisp alltogether. If you can not
> do it right, its better not to do it at all.
>
> Detailed issues: 80% of the examples do not run as condition
> is thrown about TITLE missing. It would be good if the example code
> within the examples was uncommented and ran on 'compile and load
> file'.
>
> The IDE is abysmally bad to the point of becoming a mockery of Lisp.
> Extremelly unstable, beach balls all the time seemingly for no
> reason at
> all, lack of customization, stupid defaults, alien look & feel with no
> relevance to Apple HIG. Most importantly: It does not inspire
> confidence
> for someone to make the investment and learn/use lisp.

The one comment about an error (XMLisp related) is something that we
cannot reproduce. Perhaps somebody else can? Maybe this is an issue
with running CCL on OS X < 10.5

Regarding IDE, I would like to hear from zos156, whoever you are, what
kind of IDE would you like?

alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado