[Openmcl-devel] CCL on SnowLeopard?

Charles Martin chasrmartin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:29:20 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 13:21, Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> wrote:

> "dying horribly" = C compiler can't find header files, gets confused,
> and generates dozens/hundreds of largely meaningless error messages
> detailing that confusion; this is all a symptom of failing to install
> the optional 10.4 XCode support.
>
> Or, if you prefer, it's a symptom of our trying to continue to support
> 10.4 while Apple's starting to phase that out.  When we asked last spring,
> the replies that we got indicated that few people still cared about 10.4,
> but one large institutional user had a large installed base of 10.4 machines
> that they said that they couldn't afford to upgrade so we decided to leave
> it in.  In hindsight, offering to hold a fundraising drive so that they
> could afford to upgrade those machines might have been a better choice,
> and the situation with 10.4 support will probably get worse over time.

Not to be cranky or anything, but wouldn't it be even cheaper yet to
modify the download and install pages to say, in some vivid and
unambiguous fashion "10.4 support code for XCode is required"?

Maybe even include a line in the compile that looks for the apparently
missing header file and says "error: XCode 10.4 support not
installed."?

>>> Using the svn version and the .dmg version, got a mess of compile
>>> errors following the rebuild-ccl step, ending with these:
>>>

> As a rule of thumb, it's often wise to ignore any C compiler messages
> after the first few, which probably involved failure to find header
> files.  If it can't find those header files, it can't likely make
> any sense out of code that depends on things defined in those header
> files, and it's generally not very interesting to see it not make
> sense of things.

Worked as a way to find out the issue, though, didn't it?

--
 http://chasrmartin.com