[Openmcl-devel] buffer evals

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Tue Oct 20 09:51:11 PDT 2009

Things are working pretty well with Snow Leopard and CCL so far (1.4-
dev-r13022M-trunk  (DarwinX8632)!)

Just a little annoyance for which, I am sure, there is some doc
somewhere but I cannot find it.

When using Execute All I am just getting a list of "?" printed in the
listener for each form in the file. Is there some setting to print
each value into the listener, e.g,

#<STANDARD-CLASS XLUI::SELECTION-MASK>

instead of

?

The second issues is just the Execute All menu command. Even after
using CCL now for some time I get frequently surprised by the result
not matching my expectations. That is, Execute All really loads the
file which may or may not be the same as the actual buffer content. To
me Execute All, especially given that is right next to the Execute
Selection menu command which is based on the buffer AND has the same
name as the MCL version which is evaluating the buffer not the file is
confusing. I have seen others being puzzled about the results as well.
How about:

a) Execute All evals the buffer (same as MCL) and not the file

b) Execute All does eval the file but at least gives a warning in the
case that the buffer contains unsaved changes

c) have Execute All do an eval buffer & a new Execute File menu
command to load the file?

Personally, I just like option a the best

Alex