[Openmcl-devel] Compiler warnings

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Wed Oct 21 08:14:10 PDT 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 5:27 AM, james anderson wrote:

> the documented behavior of setf/setq permits (the names of) lexical
> variables and dynamic variables.

And places in general.  And symbol macros.  The two of which together
let you do pretty much anything in portable CL.

> my non-conformant program is still portable.

Serious question: why does portability matter to you so much?  Back in
the day, portability mattered because DARPA said it mattered.  Those
days are long gone.  Do we really need to be able to port code between
five different implementations nowadays?  Are the benefits really
worth the costs?

rg