[Openmcl-devel] About Contribs

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Mon Sep 14 07:17:36 PDT 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Ron Garret wrote:

> SVN is the natural choice
> since CCL itself is hosted on SVN, but the world at large seems to be
> abandoning SVN in favor of Git and/or Mercurial.  The last time I
> checked (which was a while ago) SVN didn't do proper branch merging,
> which is a show-stopper as far as I'm concerned.  But maybe they've
> fixed that?

Not really fixed. You have to do some semi manual merge. However, SVN
is not at all on the way out. A couple of discussions may make it
sound is if that were the case. Recently somebody actually produced
some data regarding the use of versioning systems. SVN is still
gaining share, and gaining faster than GIT and others combined. The
World at large is essentially just now dropping CVS for SNV.
Statistically speaking GIT is barely showing up on the stats.

Even if there were a GIT client with an actual user interface (I
confess I am not much of a command line person) I would still vote for
using SVN. GIT is likey to a be dangerous de-cohesiving  tool in the
hands of Lisp programmers. Take an already small community, realize
few lisp programmers ever agree on things and before you know it you
have more unsupported  flavors of CCL than Linux distros.

cheers,  Alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department