[Openmcl-devel] Trace/BPT trap with cl-opengl loading

peter p2.edoc at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 2 00:21:05 PDT 2010

At 9:02 PM -0600 10/8/1, Gary Byers wrote:
[...]
>1) The affected code may be in a third-party lisp library; it'd be good if
>    the authors of such libraries made the necessary changes so that people
>    didn't keep running into this.

I second this. If extension loading did as one would expect (just
load the extension appropriately), it could cut down on everyone in
parallel (alone) having to work out and hack around the hang-ups.

What chance our having a single entry point for extension loading.
There any prerequisites could be listed (ie. with documentation and
URLs to hunt them down if needed). And if not a single require to
execute, at least an ordered command or action sequence.

I have in mind a high level Apple Menu item for users of the Cocoa
API, such that extensions can be loaded with dependencies taken care
of.  So such as Kevin could grab Clozure, fire it up, multiple choose
extensions to load such as cl-opengl, and hit the ground running in
minutes.

That might encourage people to try out and incidentally test more
systems, just because we'd be more aware of them and it would lower
the entry threshold.