[Openmcl-devel] save-application question

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Dec 13 21:17:59 PST 2010

Windows .exe files have a field in their headers that indicate whether
they use the "console" or "GUI" subsystem.  (IIRC, the field can take
on some other value, most of which are only of historical interest.)
If you double-click on an executable that uses the console subsystem
(as wx86cl.exe ordinarily claims to), a console window is created.

SAVE-APPLICATION takes a :PREPEND-KERNEL argument; :PREPEND-KERNEL T
will "prepend" a copy of the currently running kernel to the heap
image.  If :PREPEND-KERNEL is specified, then an additional Windows-specific
:APPLICATION-TYPE argument can also be used and can take either of the
values :CONSOLE (the default) or :GUI; this'll affect the subsystem field
in the copy of the kernel that's prepended to the image.

So:

(save-application "myapp.exe" :prepend-kernel t :application-type :gui ...)

will create a "gui subsystem" executable (that won't display a console window.)

GUI programs can create a console window if they want to, and console
programs can create windows and process events, and it's not clear
that these values of the "subsystem" byte affect too much else in
practice (besides this automatic console window creation on startup.)