[Openmcl-devel] inverse function

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Sat Feb 13 08:43:26 PST 2010

you can find the reverse functions either numerically (e.g., storing knowns input/output patterns and potentially interpolate between them) or analytically by processing the functional representation. For the numerical approach Lisp is not really better (or worse) than most other languages. For the analytical approach you can find some good code but keep in mind that inverse functions are intrinsically tricky, i.e.. a math problem not a programming language problem, as indicated by trivial functions such as f(x) = 1

alex

On Feb 13, 2010, at 5:20 AM, Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:

> Dear,
>
> Does someone know if there is any work done to generate an inverse of any given lisp function (if possible).
>
> Example:
>
> > (defun f (x)  (+ x 1))
> > (f 2)
> 3
> > (funcall (inverse #'f) 3)
> 2
> > (funcall (inverse #'f) (f 5))
> 5
>
> This example is very simple and serves only to describe my needs; I would like to use the inverse function
> for complex lisp defined functions.
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> Taoufik

Prof. Alexander Repenning