[Openmcl-devel] level-1/l1-boot-2.lisp

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Mar 29 02:23:01 PDT 2010

And the same spec says that WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX binds *PRINT-READABLY*
to T (and that that produces "standard read/print behavior".)  Perhaps that
means that "standard behavior" and "default behavior" intentionally differ.

I wouldn't want to have to explain that (just thinking about it is hard
enough ...), so it's probably better that threads start up with "default,
though perhaps non-standard" values of the reader/printer control variables.

The change was motivated by a desire to keep an assignment to one of those
variables in one thread from unexpectedly affecting the value visible in
another thread.  That's generally a good thing (even though that kind of
assignment isn't generally a Good Idea), but it does mean that setting
something (something like *PRINT-PRETTY*) in your init file doesn't
have exactly the same (generally benign) effect that it had before the
change.