[Openmcl-devel] what is the fn ccl:loading-file-source-file

Philippe Sismondi psismondi at arqux.com
Wed Mar 31 15:00:21 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-31, at 2:27 PM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Philippe Sismondi wrote:
>
>> I'm going through the APIS cocoa example.
>>
>> What is CCL:LOADING-FILE-SOURCE-FILE and where might I find documentation on it?
>
> In general, in the cocoa ide, if you have point at a symbol, typing meta-dot (option-period) will take you to the source location. In this case it takes you to l1-utils.lisp:
>
> (defun loading-file-source-file ()
> Source for *loading-file-source-file* shows that it is initially defparametered to nil in l0-init.lisp.
>
> An ide muti-file search on *loading-file-source-file* shows that in l1-file.lisp it is bound by %load  to the namestring of the file being loaded. It is also bound by other things as well.
>
> hth,
>
> Ralph

Thanks. I am clearly still struggling with figuring out how to wend my way through the CL learning process with ccl.

I have learned to use meta-. to check out source code in many cases. However, in this case, I came across the use of loading-file-source-file in what is meant to be a minimal example of a CL cocoa app. I am left wondering how I would know when, why and how to use such a function. Without some external documentation it looks like a magic incantation that would not spontaneously occur to me.

Not that I'm against a little magic now and then ;-)

Best,

- Phil -