[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sat Oct 23 11:50:14 PDT 2010

On 23 Oct 2010, at 05:58, Sudhir Shenoy wrote:

> If this was Microsoft doing it, there could be some reason to fear such a future. But as I said in reply to Rafel, Apple simply does not have the market share to entice developers to write solely for their platform if the conditions for doing so becomes overly onerous. It is not a new market like the iphone/ipad where there is a lot of money to be made.

I think it depends on how you define market share.  I think that Apple do have a fairly significant market share of people with free money to spend (attractive to developers since they might spend the money on their application), and who are significantly reluctant to move.  Basically they have a pretty good share of design-conscious middle-class (UK sense, which I understand is different than the US sense) people, and that's an interesting market to have.

(Disclaimer: I don't have anything other than very apocryphal evidence for this.)