[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Sat Oct 23 12:19:16 PDT 2010

Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> writes:

> On 23 Oct 2010, at 05:58, Sudhir Shenoy wrote:
>
>> If this was Microsoft doing it, there could be some reason to fear
>> such a future. But as I said in reply to Rafel, Apple simply does not
>> have the market share to entice developers to write solely for their
>> platform if the conditions for doing so becomes overly onerous. It is
>> not a new market like the iphone/ipad where there is a lot of money
>> to be made.
>
> I think it depends on how you define market share.  I think that Apple
> do have a fairly significant market share of people with free money to
> spend (attractive to developers since they might spend the money on
> their application), and who are significantly reluctant to move.
> Basically they have a pretty good share of design-conscious
> middle-class (UK sense, which I understand is different than the US
> sense) people, and that's an interesting market to have.
>
> (Disclaimer: I don't have anything other than very apocryphal evidence
> for this.)

They're reaching also 49% of market share in some universities.  (And of
course, when you watch picture of amphitheaters, be it at universities
or at Lisp conferences, they're full of Macs, it's hard to find the
couple of PC with Linux in them).

This is an important fact, because it means that a few years later these
students will be working, and will push to use Apple computers (and iOS
devices) in the enterprises.