[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Tue Oct 26 06:51:34 PDT 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 10:12 PM, peter wrote:

> At 5:38 PM -0600 10/10/25, Alexander Repenning wrote:
>> [...] and don't implement your own DRM, [...]
>
> Is the Apple idea that our app is safe without DRM in that the world can only get our app by procuring it through the Apple Store and downloading and using the app inside a MacOS walled garden (the equivalent to the iOS's)?  Hence p2p copying is impossible on the client/user end (unless the walled garden is jail-broken, in which case we consider this free viral marketing!).
>
> Meaning that the meta-model is that Apple will introduce some sort of safe zone within the current free-for-all MacOS environment, where the user has protection, the producer needs no DRM, and Apple of course are the unilateral rule makers, police and law court.
>
> If there is to be a MacOS walled garden, what impact does this have on CCL use for developers, will our work be in anarchy/freeland as now, hence all this is moot?

Apple does not say your app cannot have DRM but if you want to sell through their Mac App store it has to be their DRM. You can think of this in many ways but if you want to build a commercial tool having a ready to go DRM maintained by Apple actually does not sound like a bad idea.

Alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department