[Openmcl-devel] Apple To Require Sandboxing For Mac App Store Apps - Slashdot

Andrew Shalit ashalit at learningtouch.com
Mon Nov 7 08:30:13 PST 2011

Apple has already started sandboxing their applications.  As others have noted, Preview and Textedit (and maybe Safari) are sandboxed in Lion.  Many people think sandboxing is just a good general programming practice.  There's no reason to distinguish their own apps.

For the record, I think the current entitlements are too limited, but I like the idea of sandboxing in general.  The current work is being driven by Ivan Krstić.  I saw him give a talk to the Boston Lisp group a couple of years ago, before he was working at Apple, and I was very impressed.  For anyone who has access to the Apple Dev Center, I highly recommend watching his videos on this stuff.   There more to it than just boxing in apps.