[Openmcl-devel] relaunching CCL IDE on Windows problems

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Nov 16 20:59:48 PST 2011

There's nothing in CCL that tries to enumerate running processes.
On Unix, doing so is very system-dependent (though I think that there
are some libraries that try to hide system dependencies and make it
easier to write programs like 'top' and 'ps'.)

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682623%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>
shows how to do it on Windows, using functions defined in the "psapi" library.
The good news is that the CCL kernel uses some things in psapi and as a result
the library's always available.  The bad news is that that's typical Win32
code, but at least there isn't a whole lot of it.

(CCL::GETPID) behaves about the same way on Windows as it does on Unix systems.
If I understand the example correctly, #_EnumProcesses will fill in a buffer
with the process IDs of all running processes (after you wrestle with it
about the size of the buffer.)  If you iterate through that buffer (basically
a C vector of (UNSIGNED-BYTE 32)s), you should find exactly one entry that
matches the value returned by (CCL::GETPID).

The example shows how to get some information about a process given its
pid; it determines process's primary "module" (the main executable file)
and retrieves that module's basename.  I think that there are some
similar functions that'll return the module's full pathname.

Recall that (most ? all ?) Win32 functions that take string arguments
or return string results come in two flavors, one of which has a name
that ends in A (and deals with 8-bit ANSI strings) and the other having
a name that ends in W (and deals with UTF-16LE strings.)  C programs
typically select one or the other at compile-time and macros define
Foo to be either FooA or FooW according to which option was selected.
(Foo likely isn't defined, but both FooA and FooW will be.)

I'm sure that there's some way to kill a Windows process given its
PID, but I don't remember what it is and don't think that there's
any code in CCL that does that.  (Ah.  You need to use the PID to
get a handle to the process as in the example; that handle has to
have PROCESS_TERMINATE access rights.  Once you have that:

(#_TerminateProcess handle code)

will try to kill the process, and anything waiting for the process
to die will see that it died with the indicated exit code.)