[Openmcl-devel] Clozuer 1.7 on Nokia N900

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Nov 23 06:40:54 PST 2011

The short answer is that the N900 uses a fairly old Linux distribution
and the 1.7 binaries were built on a newer distibution.  (I think that
the specific issue is that some of the startup code in the CCL kernel
uses THUMB2 instructions and the N900's Linux kernel doesn't support
THUMB2 binaries, if anyone cares.)

The workaround is to simply compile the CCL kernel on an older
machine.  That may not be so simple in the case of the N900; some
people are able to compile C code on and for the N900 by running a
compatible version of Debian in a chrooted environment, and there are
cross-compilation setups that run on desktop/laptop machines.  (Both
of these things are a lot of fuss to go through just to build a fairly
small C/assembler program.)

If you aren't set up to do this, let me know; I'm pretty sure that
I have a machine that can compile a binary that the N900 can run.
(For that matter, I have an N900, too, and I'm pretty sure that
I've run into this issue.)