[Openmcl-devel] 1.8 prerelease

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Mar 14 10:55:00 PDT 2012

I just tried this with the current trunk CCL on FreeBSD 9.0 running on
a VMWare VM on a Mac. "ab -n 2000 -c 4 https://localhost:8083/" ran to
completion (though every request got "SSL read failed - closing
connection", presumably because ab can't deal with self-signed certificates.)

Last month, I don't think that I was sure whether there was a problem
with CCL and FreeBSD 9.0 or whether there was a problem with FreeBSD
9.0 and the virtualization software that you were using.  The fact
that this worked for me (as well as it did) makes me more suspicious
of the latter at this point.

CCL is very sensitive to the format of a signal context (a data structure
that describes the machine state at the time that an exception occurred.)
At some point, the size and layout of the machine-dependent parts of a
signal context will change in some way (to accommodate AVX and 256-bit
vector registers.)  I don't think that FreeBSD has made any such change
as of 9.0, and FreeBSD has generally been very good (at least since 5.x)
about maintaining backward compatibility at this level.