[Openmcl-devel] Is it possible to successfully submit to Mac App Store?

Alexander Repenning alexander.repenning at Colorado.EDU
Fri Oct 12 17:42:08 PDT 2012

If you do attempt to sandbox please share your experience. Positive or negative.

I would assume Picture Window could be sandboxed one way or another but what about CCL itself. I assume if you resubmit a new version of CCL to the Mac store you would have to sandbox it. What does it even mean to sandbox a general IDE that, typically, should be able to read and write just about anywhere? Are there any other examples of sandboxed IDEs? Is Apple's Xcode sandboxed?

Alex

On Oct 12, 2012, at 11:17 AM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2012, at 12:39 PM, Frederick Cowan <cowan at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got an app to build.  I want this to run on a big screen so I'm targeting the Mac.  I'm a iOS developer so I could do it with Objective-C and pure Xcode.  I'd like to try building this with CCL, but only if I can get it in the Mac App Store and sell it.
>>
>> Anybody know for sure if this is or isn't possible?
>
> We at Clozure wondered if this was possible.  In order to find out, I wrote an application called Picture Window in CCL.  It was accepted to the Mac App Store.
>
> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/picture-window/id507262984?mt=12
>
> However, this was before Apple required all Mac App Store applications to be sandboxed.  I haven't tried to make Picture Window run in a sandbox yet, so I'm not entirely sure what will be involved with that.
>
> It will be necessary to figure out how to assign entitlements by using /usr/bin/codesign.  This shouldn't be too hard:  the obvious thing to do is to write a little sandboxed app using Xcode, and then read the build transcript to see how Xcode does it.  (The man page for codesign mentions an -entitlements option.)
>
> Once that's done, it's time to run the sandboxed app, see what breaks, fix it, and repeat as necessary.
>
> So, that's a long way of saying that I don't know for sure if it's possible to write a *sandboxed* app in CCL and have it accepted into the Mac App Store.  It was definitely possible before Apple started requiring that apps be sandboxed.

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department
Boulder, CO 80309-430