[Openmcl-devel] Initial bindings

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sun Aug 4 18:54:19 PDT 2013

In my init.lisp file I set *print-length* to a modest-sized integer, and in the IDE this is reflected in the first listener window that is created.  But in subsequent listeners, *print-length* reverts to NIL.  The result is that I will often accidentally print a rogue data structure, which often causes the IDE to become unresponsive and occasionally to crash.

Searching for a solution to this led me to DEF-STANDARD-INITIAL-BINDING, which seems to be the Right Way to solve this problem except that it's neither documented nor exported.  Is it safe to use?  Is there a better way to globally set the value of *print-length*?

Thanks,
rg