[Openmcl-devel] Using screen to put CCL/HT in production as a web server

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 03:52:07 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Arthur Lemmens <alemmens at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm about to put a CCL web app (using Hunchentoot) into production.  Up to
>> now I've been taking advantage of all the interactive goodness that the IDE
>> offers, but of course that will mostly go away once the app is deployed.
>> But it occurred to me that I could use the "screen" program to keep a REPL
>> around for debugging the live app.  My question is: is this a wise thing to
>> do?  Are there potential unexpected negative consequences of deploying an
>> application this way?  Security holes?  Possible crashes?  Has anyone tried
>> this?
>

> I've been using "screen" wrapped around Lispworks REPLs for many years
> without any problems.  I mostly use the REPL for loading patches while
> the server is running.  I do most of my debugging in a separate test
> version that doesn't interact with the production database and is not
> visible to the outside world.

Back in the bad old days, araneida+cliki was typically deployed using
detachtty, which can be thought of as a very reduced variant of screen
specialized for demonificaion. These days, I use screen for a variety
of daemons.

It’s amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everyday
always just exactly fits the newspaper.