[Openmcl-devel] Using screen to put CCL/HT in production as a web server

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Mon Sep 2 02:50:21 PDT 2013

On 2 Sep 2013, at 00:04, Ron Garret wrote:

> I'm about to put a CCL web app (using Hunchentoot) into production.  Up to now I've been taking advantage of all the interactive goodness that the IDE offers, but of course that will mostly go away once the app is deployed.  But it occurred to me that I could use the "screen" program to keep a REPL around for debugging the live app.  [...].

I haven't done this with CCL but I have done it with other things.  I think there's a question about how screen determines who is allowed to talk to it and this might have security questions around it (I suspect it comes down to read access to some file in your home directory which has whatever cookie it needs, but I forget).  Other than that it worked rather well for us, though it made me feel a little queasy in the "I haven't really made this thing into a proper daemon" way.