[Openmcl-devel] Using screen to put CCL/HT in production as a web server

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 2 02:29:31 PDT 2013

Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:

> I'm about to put a CCL web app (using Hunchentoot) into production.  Up
> to now I've been taking advantage of all the interactive goodness that
> the IDE offers, but of course that will mostly go away once the app is
> deployed.  But it occurred to me that I could use the "screen" program
> to keep a REPL around for debugging the live app.  My question is: is
> this a wise thing to do?  Are there potential unexpected negative
> consequences of deploying an application this way?  Security holes?
> Possible crashes?  Has anyone tried this?

I've been using "screen" wrapped around Lispworks REPLs for many years
without any problems.  I mostly use the REPL for loading patches while
the server is running.  I do most of my debugging in a separate test
version that doesn't interact with the production database and is not
visible to the outside world.

Arthur