[Openmcl-devel] External Programs and Piping

Steven Núñez steven.nunez at inference.sg
Wed Dec 31 16:13:52 PST 2014

Greeting everyone,

I'm trying to implement a system that will display manpages to the user from the REPL. There's a neat trick to convince Preview to do this here:

              http://www.devopsderek.com/blog/2013/03/10/view-man-pages-with-preview-on-mac-os-x/

But I can't seem to hit upon the right incantation to make this work from the CCL REPL. As a work-around / substitute I tried:

              (run-program "/usr/bin/man" '("ls") :output *standard-output*)

Which put the text of the man page in the REPL's terminal windows, but the manpage formatting is lost and it comes out as one big string of text. Efforts to pipe it to /usr/bin/less have failed. Seem piping, if working, isn't obvious.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Happy New Year,

-          SteveN