[Openmcl-devel] macroexpand-all

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Wed Jun 25 09:19:07 PDT 2014

BTW, one of the spiffy things you can do with combination-hook is define a currying Lisp-1 lambda:

(defun convert-args (args)
  (cond ( (null args) nil )
        ( (atom args) (list '&rest args) )
        (t (cons (car args) (convert-args (cdr args))))))

(defmacro λ (args &body body)
  (let ((args (remove-if (lambda (x) (eql #\& (elt (symbol-name x) 0))) args)))
    `(lambda ,(convert-args args)
       (flet ,(mapcar (lambda (arg) `(,arg (&rest args) (apply ,arg args))) args)
         , at body))))

which then lets you e.g. compute a factorial using a Y combinator without having to put FUNCALLs in all over the place:

? (((λ (f) ((λ (g) (g g)) (λ (h) (λ (x) ((f (h h)) x)))))
  (λ (f) (λ (n) (if (zerop n) 1 (* n (f (1- n)))))))
 10)
3628800

You can even do the same thing using Church numerals:

? ((λ (f s) (f (s (s (s (f (s (s (s (λ (f x) x))))))))))
    (λ (n f) (n (λ (c i) (i (c (λ (f x) (i f (f x))))))
                (λ x f) (λ x x)))
    (λ (n f x) ((n f) (f x)))
    '1+ 0)
362880

Note that this code does not invoke any CL functions except 1+, which is only used to convert the resulting Church numeral into a integer.

rg