[Openmcl-devel] access Mac OS python interpreter from clozure?

Mark Klein m_klein at mit.edu
Wed Oct 1 16:15:02 PDT 2014

To add more detail to my previous question, I wonder if I can do something like the following:

(defun test ()
  (setq p (run-program "python" nil
                       :wait t
                       :input :stream
                       :output :stream))
  (setq is (external-process-input-stream p))
  (setq os (external-process-output-stream p))
  (loop do (format is "~A~%"  (read-line))
           do (format t "~%~A" (read-line os))))

The idea is that this would create a process running python and allow me to send and receive text to it. The code above doesn’t work, the read from the external process output stream never returns, but perhaps there’s a simple fix?

    Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

I’d like to create input and output streams that connect with the python interpreter that comes included with Mac OS X so I can invoke python subroutines from lisp and get the results. Does anyone have any suggestions about how that can be done? I see that Clozure allows running other programs as subprocesses (http://ccl.clozure.com/ccl-documentation.html#Running-Other-Programs-as-Subprocesses) but it’s not clear to me if I can use that to interact with a program like python, as oppose to simply invoking a program like “cat” and getting the results it returns when it completes.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Mark Klein
http://cci.mit.edu/klein

Principal Research Scientist
Center for Collective Intelligence
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Visiting Researcher
Dynamic and Distributed Information Systems Group
University of Zurich